Saturday, June 29, 2013

I always knew....

it would come to this.  I've been saying for many years now, perhaps the last four to five, that I knew my knees were thrashed, at 45.  Yuk.  It turns out I was really right.  As I've spent the last week with both knees in such pain, I'm practically ON my knees, and I finally broke down yesterday and went to the doc.  He ordered an xray, done this morning, and by 3 pm today, I had the news, I already knew.  I have severe osteoarthritis in both knees.  Irreversible.  All you can do is treat the symptoms.  Surgery is the last resort.  Good news here, there are plenty of things to try.  Primary cause, other than aging, obesity - surprise (said as dryly as I can manage). 

Don't know my real plan.  Taking an anti-inflammatory and using a topical gel at the moment.  Researching.  Might try acupuncture.  Might ask for some Cymbalta from doc on Monday.  Looking into gastric bypass or lap band surgery.  Polling friends.

Can't even really cry about this, it's all my fault and like I said, I always knew it would come to this or something like this.  I have to admit, the prospect of not being able to walk, wasn't exactly prominent on my radar - I really thought it'd be a near-fatal heart attack (oh all right, who am I kidding, probably a fatal heart attack).

Anyway....I'm hoping to post frequently as things progress.  For anyone that happens to find this, your constructive comments, questions, suggestions and criticisms are welcome.  I think I'm going to need an unusually large and varied cheer leading squad.

One bite, one step at a time, eh?
C.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you know, that I just adore you! I know you have the strength to get through this. No matter what path you chose, you have my support and I will help you stay motivated. I think that has been the hardest part for me... feeling that I have to do everything alone. I hope that we can help each other in this journey. Much <3! ~Val

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh Val, your words are far too kind! I will appreciate your cheer leading and of course, you know I am here to return the favor any way I can. Let me know how your work blog is coming along, really look forward to reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete